I’ve been wanting to do boudoir photos. For myself, not for anyone else (because I’m not dating and giving your friends boudoir photos of yourself for gift-giving holidays is not my style).
But like so many things in my life, I had let fear get the best of me. I had allowed my self-loathing to take over and keep me from exploring new ideas or taking leaps into unknown (and super fun!) things.
I allowed fear and all my excuses to keep me in a bubble. A safe bubble, but a really super boring one.
I played the “I’ll do it when I lose the weight” card. I filled up my time with other things. Spent money I set aside for a photographer for other things. Put up roadblocks between me and the thing I kept saying “I’ve always wanted to do this” about.
I was my own worst enemy.
Then I made a new friend, Brianne. Brianne was looking for a model for her portfolio. She was looking for a specific date that I happened to be available.
So I did it. I replied to her post and said “YUP I AM IN”.
Before my brain chimed in and said “OMG YOU CAN’T BECAUSE [lists 20 lame excuses and one really super pathetic excuse].
Before I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I was not worthy.
Before I talked myself out of it.
And it was glorious. Empowering. SO FUN.
And you should do one.
So here, with no additional fanfare or anecdotes, are….
FIVE REASONS YOU SHOULD DO A BOUDOIR PHOTO SHOOT RIGHT NOW, AND TO HECK WITH YOUR EXCUSES.
- You will look back at these photos, no matter what size or shape or color you are, and say “DAMN. I was a badass.” It takes guts to strip down to your skivvies in front of a photographer (and possibly a photographer’s assistant) and then bend and pose and let the “I am hot and the subject of this whole shebang” take hold of you, even if it’s just for a second.
- You will feel absolutely stunning. And there should be absolutely NO SHAME in your game. The fact we have practically criminalized feeling self-worth is awful. We should tell ourselves daily we are beautiful and worthy and wondrous creatures. Because every single one of us on this planet…we are all beautiful and worthy and wondrous creatures.
- You will feel powerful. I left my session feeling like I could conquer just about anything – and 4 months later, I am still feeling awfully amazing. Not like a totally egotistical power, but a “well, I did THAT, so I can’t be scared of doing THIS.”
- No matter what size you are, you are you. And you should absolutely have photographs of yourself. You should look at yourself with love and confidence that you are the only you that there ever will be and you are awesome.
If you’re not there, it’s ok. It took me 4 months to get the balls to post these photos on the internet for the whole world to see!
- You do not have to show a single soul any of these photos. It is absolutely not required that you show anybody any of these pictures. Period. You could do it just for the way it makes you feel and never download them or print them or anything. On the flip side, you could put them in a book for yourself. Or your partner/boyfriend/girlfriend/neighbor (but don’t give them to your neighbor. Unless they’re also your boyfriend or you have a really close relationship).
This whole boudoir experience is about you, and nobody else. It’s about what you want out of it, and what you want to do with the end results.
Don’t let anybody tell you different, and quit talking yourself out of it.
Brianne Bell took all of these photos, and is an incredibly talented photographer. She not only does absolutely beautiful boudoir photos but also the most stunning “Fresh 48” sessions and birth photography. Check out her website here and book a session if you’re local!
BONUS: Here is my vlog entry from the Boudoir Day! <3 (Please ignore the sideways video – I was still pretty new at the video thing.)
You are stunning! Thanks for sharing <3
Thanks for reading, lady!!
You are amazing and beautiful! You made me smile, laugh and feel like I could do this. You ARE a badass, and I want to be a badass too! lol