This weekend, some of the bloggers in my circle got a little heated about Reese Witherspoon’s latest speech when she accepted some award.
She said in her speech something like “women want quality content, ‘not mommy blogs and 14 ways to cook a turkey.'”
Ok then, Reese Witherspoon. I don’t get where you’re coming from, but I might be taking that one out of context. You kind of make sound like a jerk, and I know that’s not your intention.
I can definitely see why some “mommy bloggers” might take offense at you using that odious term in a possibly derogatory manner. I am sure you didn’t mean to insult an entire group of entrepreneurial women who have large audiences on the internet.
But I have two points of information for you:
First off, “mommy bloggers” are total badasses. They’ve built empires from nothing, commanding large payouts for their writing, video and social media savvy. They’re powerhouses. They’re businesswomen, just like you.
Second, turkey is delicious.
Here’s 14 ways I found to cook a turkey:
- Shove clementines up its bum like Jaime Oliver.
- Do the Turducken! (Though honestly, this one horrifies me.)
- Brine that sucker with honey, a la Alton Brown.
- It might be cold outside, but fire up that BBQ for your gobble gobble!
- Go whole hog, and wrap it in bacon.
- Spatchcock it. That’s not a bad word, I promise.
- Do like Bobby Flay does, roast AND braise it.
- Another entry for Alton Brown (my personal favorite), with the deep fried turkey.
- Smoke that turkey with Coca Cola. (For the turkey, not for you.)
- Sous vide your turkey! (This one is just the breast, though.)
- Make yourself some turkey jerky.
- Michael Symon says: stick a beer can up there and roast it.
- I don’t know how great this one is for your arteries, but mayonnaise-basted sounds interesting.
- Go plain Jane and just roast it.
I hope Reese Witherspoon keeps making amazing television and movies for a long time.
And if she ever needs to cook a turkey, she knows where to find us “mommy bloggers”.
This post was written as a part of the NaBloPoMo, a daily blogging journey I am committing to in November 2017.